My hubby and I rented a one bedroom cabin in Tennessee in a remote location way back in the hills. We loved the location and the rustic and cozy interior. As you look at the picture, you can see two doors. The one farthest back along the wall is to the bathroom. The other one is a closet. The door leading to the living room is where I’m standing to take the picture.
Now that you are acclimated, let me tell you one more thing. When it gets dark in the hills, it gets REALLY DARK. There are no street lights, no outside lights at all. And when the moon is just a sliver and hidden from view by the abundance of trees, you can’t see a thing when the lights go out.
The first night we were there, we were sleeping soundly when suddenly a screeching noise brought us bolt upright in bed. It was a fire alarm. We kept hearing, “Fire, Fire!” along with the loud penetrating screech that set my teeth on edge. It was so dark, we couldn’t see our hand in front of our face.
I fumbled around to find a light, bumping into the wall heater and limping as I felt along the wall for the light switch. Hubby got out of bed and I could barely hear his startled cry as he banged into something.
“Are you all right?” I asked, still feeling around for the light.
“No!” he yelled. “Turn on the light!”
“I’m trying to find it!”
“Where’s the door?” he called.
“I don’t know! I can’t find anything.”
“Turn on the light!”
And so it went while the screeching continued along with “Fire, Fire!”
My fingers finally found the switch and I flipped it, but nothing happened. No lights!
Then I remembered the flashlight hubby had brought so we could see our way around outside. I found the chair by banging my leg into it and felt underneath where I knew he’d put the lantern-type flashlight.
When I flipped it on, I found hubby inside the closet holding his head where he’d banged into a shelf while trying to find the door to get into the living room. Now, there was no smell of smoke, no visible signs of a fire, no light at all except for the one in my hand. That is the only reason I was able to laugh.
The screeching and “Fire, Fire!” were still in full force.
Finally, we managed to find the smoke detector and shut it off…by removing the batteries. A few minutes later the lights came back on. Needless to say, it took a while to be able to get back to sleep. Luckily, neither of us was seriously injured, except for hubby’s pride.
The next day we told the people who owned the cabin and live on site what happened. They had no idea what had caused the problem.
We never rented that cabin again. We rented the bigger cabin next door though and never had a problem like that again. Yet, every year when we went back, we would reminisce about that one DARK night.
Memories are wonderful. Especially now that my hubby is in heaven. I can still look at this picture and laugh at what a sight he made standing in a closet feeling for a way out while holding his head. And now my tea is finished, so I will close with a happy hope that I started your day with a smile.